The Umbrian countryside is unlike any other landscape in Italy. The gentle green Sibillini Mountains rise above wildflower meadows that stretch as far as the eye can see. Birds, including cuckoos and skylarks, serenade as visitors to the Sibillini National Park pass lakes and ancient villages. Flowers cover the mountainside and paths. This beautiful atmosphere will captivate as you explore the valleys, ancient woods, and ruins of abandoned castles on this exclusive hiking and cooking tour of Umbria.
Umbria is Italy’s spellbinding heart of natural beauty and is acclaimed for its culinary authenticity and genuineness, even by Italians themselves. Your base for this classic Italy cooking vacation and fabulous artistic adventure is a centre of culture for its many attractions, from its festivals to its ancient sites and cuisine. Often described as a little piece of heaven fallen to earth, it’s a town that truly embodies the history of Italy at every turn. The cuisine here is rustic, and while sometimes referred to “peasant cooking,” it truly is from the land, with ingredients like farro, wild herbs, truffles, and lentils, as well as a plethora of cured meats. Learn the secrets of Umbrian cooking using the wonderful ingredients of this gastronomically rich region. Your two classes will take place in either the original family house of the Bianconi, or at the wonderful, well-equipped kitchen of Vespasia Restaurant, (awarded a Michelin star in November 2015).
We invite you to join our small group as we explore Umbria and learn more of the simple preparations that result is such complex culinary tastes. Our group is limited to just 8 people on each tour. Tours operate May to September and subject to availability the cost is from just $5,862 per person share twin. For a guaranteed single room please add just $825.
With our small groups, you may choose to travel by yourself, but you have the benefit of company on activities and meals.
Your accommodation for the week are located in an Umbrian palace, the lovely Palazzo Seneca in Norcia. The hotel dates back to the 16th century and has been recently restored by the Bianconi family to offer elegant rooms and amenities. The skilled restoration, with a particular attention to detail and history, along with the work of the best Umbrian craftsman, have made this palace a unique and worthwhile destination.
- 6 nights in a 4* Relais and Chateaux hotel.
- Meals: Daily breakfast, 2 lunches, 6 dinners.
- Classes and instructors: Learn secrets of Umbrian cooking using the wonderful ingredients of this gastronomically rich region
- Excursions: Black truffle hunt (weather and season permitting), 2 days of panoramic hiking, Visit to Assisi and Montefalco, with time to explore on your own, Wine tasting in Sagrantino, Visit of Spoleto, with time to explore on your own
- Transfers: Roundtrip transfers from/to Rome FCO airport.
- Services of your tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip
- All taxes and fees included
- International flights
- Travel insurance
7 DAY ITINERARY - Tour commences and concludes at Rome Fiumicino Airport
Breakfast and then final farewells before transferring to Rome’s Fiumicino Airport. B
B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner